Guest House and self-catering cottage


brief history of the Jousselinière place

Former lord within Bohardy border (Montrevault), it was built in 1374 by the Jeanne d'Aubigné Espine to Guyau, and remained in that family until the seventeenth century.

The site was an ancient fortress and has been demolished by time: imposing building with four corner towers, fortifications, and a central tower. From the top of it, they could easily monitor the region around the heath and broom with no tall trees. Inside the fortifications that protected them from potential invaders, they built a stately home, the commons for staff, stables and cellars, all defended by two moats speakers that are crossed by bridges levis.

The Lords of Aubigné led a lavish lifestyle that allowed them their immense wealth. Among their descendants should be mentioned:

0 Thibaut d'Aubigné, Esquire and butler of the king. He died at the Jousselinière in 1492 and was buried in the Church of Le pin En Mauges;

0 Hervé d'Aubigné acquired the Baron de Montrevault seigneurial rights in the Church of Le Pin in 1550;

0 Charles d'Aubigne, a gentleman of the Chamber, master of the horse, accompanied Henry IV to "la reduction de Paris".



All these gentlemen wanted to transform the castle-fortress. It was the Renaissance. They did expand and dormer windows, drill mullioned windows, roof comb towers more pointed and covered with slate. At that time - in December 1498 - was built as a chapel in the Renaissance style and dedicated to St. Eutropius. In short, they tried to give this a more imposing castle fit for feasts and celebrations. Balls, receptions, banquets, hunts succeeded. Everything was gorgeous and very expensive. They ruined and had to resign themselves to sell their land.

In 1644, Philippe De Saint Offange, Lord of Pouëze, became owner. It comes home to take refuge as the Cardinal de Retz after his escape from the castle of Nantes. The cardinal was a fierce opponent of Mazarin and fomenting plots against him. The government, in its actions had him arrested and imprisoned by the Musketeers to the Castle of Nantes where he continued to conspire. On the night of August 8, 1654, he escaped with the complicity of the Duc de Brissac, the Marquis of Supeaux Beaupréau and Sire of Pouëze. On the way to Nantes, the Cardinal had an unfortunate fall into a ditch and broke his shoulder. Bruised, he was hidden in a haystack, where he spent the night. The nobility of the neighborhood was alerted and quickly assembled. To avoid the thugs who were pursuing, it was decided to transport him in a cart, hidden under fagots, until Jousselinière Pouëze in the Lord. Arrived in this place, he was immediately lowered into a tower, where he remained for several hours the feet in the mud, to protect him from possible prosecution.

From August 11, 1654, rested and groomed, he was able to regain Beaupréau hiding from farm to farm, and staged in Italy, where he wrote his memoirs.

The troubles of the Fronde ceased, peace returned and the lords returned to the Court.

But De Saint Offange family experienced serious financial difficulties: their land, not mismanaged their report that low incomes.

Their little son, Rene du Plessis, who had inherited the Jousselinière in 1705 sold it in 1760 to Charles Maillé of Tourlandry who sold it in 1760 to Andrew Pissonnet of Bellefonds of Laucran. He had accumulated an immense fortune in administration and finance, which enabled him to stand also acquire all of the neighboring farms: the Chesneaux, Moulin, the Couperie the Hersonnière the Guittière, the old, in the tile, La Noue, Arcis, Wood Nightshade ....

During the Revolution, he emigrated and his property confiscated. During the wars of Vendee, the infernal columns swept on Mauges, looting and burning everything in their path. The Jousselinière was not spared. The castle was burned down. On his return from exile, he found only ruins. Only two towers and the chapel were only partially damaged. His only heir, Marie Augustine, married in 1804, Charles d'Aubigne. They wanted to restore the castle, but the missing money, they were content to rebuild the central building.

Throughout the nineteenth century, the family of Aubigné remained owner of the land, but at the dawn of the twentieth century it was completely ruined.

The last descendants are two brothers, two widely sixties singles. The eldest, Maurice, long time Mayor of Le Pin, married in Paris. The youngest, Louis, a dance teacher and ballet master, married a rich American in Paris: Coecilia Bonnemau.

The family of Andigné disappeared at their turn. That is the sale. Mr. Trégouët acquires La Jousselinière in 1930.

During the War of 1940, It was requisitioned by the Germans who occupied residential buildings and made a dependency hospital for their horses, so that the Wehrmacht raid hay, straw, oats in the surrounding countryside ... Finally! The occupant left.

Since 1945, Jousselinière is habited by the family Blanche-Trégouët.

Texts written by Helen Blanche-Trégouët
The castle of Jousselinière, 2004

Open from April to October
© Copyright 2016 - Frouin